Saturday, November 21, 2009

Bill Cosby and Nate Harkness: It was meant to be


I love Bill Cosby. I've always loved him. I love him for his goofiness, his amazing way with children, and because he reminds me of my Grandpa Satre.


The other night at 2AM Annabel woke up and decided that she and I should watch the Cosby Show together. As we did, I found a new reason to love Bill Cosby. In this particular episode, Cliff Huxtible was annoying his 8th-grade daughter Vanessa by relentlessly talking in rhymes. He was teasing her because the "two most popular girls in the eighth grade" were about to come over, and Vanessa hoped against hope that they would invite her to join the Pep Squad. Cliff thought he would be just as good at making cheers as those girls ever could be, and so to Vanessa's chagrin, he showed off his rhyming skills to her two friends. It was obnoxious and endearing at the same time - and it was exactly like something Nate would do. I loved it, and for the first time realized that in a lot of ways, Bill Cosby reminds me of my husband.
...Just one more reason to love him. After Annabel decided she had had enough of the Cosby Show and went to bed, I fell asleep thinking about Bill Cosby's rhyming and overall similarity to Nate.

The next morning, I woke up to a hot cup of coffee steaming on my nightstand. (Yes, my amazing husband brings me coffee in the morning.) On top of the mug was this note:

Coffee is black
Mochas are muddy
and you are my
FAVORITEST
Jo-drinking buddy!

...It's undeniable. Rhyming and all, Nate Harkness and Bill Cosby are definitely two peas in a pod.

4 comments: