
Lately I have been immersing myself in Sherlock Holmes stories. I can't help myself. I am so fascinated by the way that he thinks, and like to humor myself that I have similar abilities of keen observation. (Of course, this doesn't mean that I actually do; I just fancy that I do.) I do often notice and remember small things about people, their clothes, their mannerisms, or their comments that other people don't pay attention to, mostly because I am so intrigued by people and what makes them tick. I remember learning in my career counseling class that investigative personality types are often found in the counseling profession. It makes sense - I'm always looking for the why's behind the way people are.
My parents are science nerds and it used to drive me nuts how they would always want to know how everything worked or got to be the way it was. For my mom, every rock formation had a history and for my dad, every new gadget had some simple mechanical explanation. In spite of myself, I realize that I've become the same way with people. Every person is the way they are for very specific and straightforward reasons. Well, relatively straightforward. "Elementary, my dear Watson." (Actually, I don't think he's said that phrase once yet in any of the stories I've read.) Anyway, I love Sherlock Holmes.
I fancy that keen reproduction of Debra as Sherlock.
ReplyDelete