Friday, January 7, 2011

A-Love's first haircut

...I know, I know, it was about time. I mean, look at this craziness!



...And, Exhibit B:



...But, I am unbelievably enamored with her cuteness when her bangs are swept to the side with an adorable barrette (not to mention that I have been really enjoying making said barrettes for her). I mean, how can you resist this?



...or this?




....So, I was really hoping to grow her bangs out and enjoy cuteness like this on a daily basis. However, unfortunately, 2 year olds tend to have their own opinions about things. So, in spite of my cajoling and constantly telling Annabel how cute her barrettes are and trying to condition her by putting one in her hair at least once a day, my efforts to control the bangs have failed. I think the longest she's ever lasted without pulling the barrette out is about an hour, and that was only according to her daycare worker's account. Around me they usually last 15 minutes or less. SO, yesterday, I finally surrendered. I rationalized it to myself with my friend's encouragement that, being as girly as she is, she might be more excited about barrettes in her hair when she's a little bit older. I also comforted myself with the fact that hair does grow, and I can still grow out her bangs later on.

I have to say, in spite of her resistance to barrettes, Annabel was definitely NOT all about getting the trim. I suppose it is scary when someone comes at your face with scissors for the very first time and you have no idea what they're about to do to you. I'd have been scared too, even if I was distracted by goldfish crackers and apple juice. ...I literally had time for ONE snip, and that was it. Her wriggling and writhing made me too scared to try for another one. And, after that first snip, she started freaking out and yelling, "I want my hair back on!" As a girl who has also been sad about haircuts in the past, I had empathy and abstained from cutting any more off. For one snip, I think I did pretty good:



And, I still get to enjoy her beautiful long locks in the back.



...All in all, I think it was a good call. I think she likes her new look. Besides, unobstructed vision is always a helpful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment